Thursday, July 10, 2014

7/10/14 Chefella's Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

It is hard to cook vegetables for my friends because one of my friends only eats broccoli, and another one of my friends only eats corn, while another one of my friends only eats carrots.  I will admit that I use a sneaky trick to get my friends to try other vegetables.  I cook the vegetable with a food I know that they will really like.  I found that if I serve the vegetables with a food my friends already like they are more willing to at least try the new vegetable.  For this recipe paired my vegetables with bacon because everyone likes bacon.  I try not to hide vegetable in food because then when my friends see the vegetable the next time they will not know they ever ate it, and chances are they will not try it just because I said they have eaten it before.  I try to give my friends a positive experience with the food so that maybe next time they will want to try the vegetable by itself.  
Now if I could just find a food that would make me want to try brussel sprouts dinner with my Grandma would be more fun.

For this recipe you will need to use a knife and the grill.  If you are not allowed to use a knife and grill by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a knife, a blender, a cutting board,
    tongs, and the grill.

ChefElla's Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus (This recipe will make 12 pieces)
Ingredients:
12 ea           Asparagus Spears, White Root Ends Removed
                    -Line up the asparagus so the tips are all at one end.  Cut off the root ends so
                     the asparagus spears are all the same length.
12 ea           Turkey Bacon
                    -If you prefer you can substitute pork bacon.
12 ea            Toothpicks

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (This recipe will make about 1 1/2 cups of sauce)
1 jar             Roasted Red Pepper (12oz jar, drained, do not rinse)
1 ea              Chipotle Chili in Adobo Sauce (one cooked pepper from the can)
                     -This product is a canned product that can be found in the hispanic section of your
                      local grocery store.  This product is a smoked dried jalapeƱo pepper cooked in a spicy
                      sauce called adobo.  It will add a nice smoky flavor to your sauce and some heat.
                      If you like really spicy sauce just add more peppers to your sauce.
1/4 Cup       Mayonnaise
2 ea              Garlic Cloves, Fresh (1/2 tsp chopped)
1/2 tsp         Kosher Salt          
1 tsp             Honey
                      -Dip the measuring spoon in oil first and the honey will not stick to the spoon.
Optional
1/4 Cup      Blue Cheese, Crumbles
                    - If you like blue cheese it is a great addition to this sauce.

3. Submerge toothpicks with cold water.  This will keep them from burning when you put them on
    the grill
4. Add all of the dressing ingredients to the blender and puree.  Store dressing in the refrigerator
    until you are ready to eat.
5. Trim asparagus.  Lay one piece of bacon on your cutting board.  Top with asparagus and roll up
     the asparagus and bacon.  Skewer each piece at the bottom with a toothpick.
 

6. Preheat grill on high.
7. Turn down grill to medium, and place asparagus on the grill.  Do not cook asparagus over a direct
     flame.  Cook for 2-3 minutes.  
8. Flip asparagus over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
9. Move asparagus off the direct heat and let cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
10. Take toothpicks out of the asparagus and serve with red pepper sauce.


Enjoy

- ChefElla

No comments:

Post a Comment