Sunday, October 20, 2013

10/20/13 Sloppy ChefElla's


SLOPPY CHEFELLA'S

At school this week they served Sloppy Joe's for lunch.  After watching my friends eat their lunch I can understand why they call them sloppy.  The meat came out of their sandwich and went all over their hands, their plates, and the table.  I think that sloppy joe's are a dish best served with a lot of napkins.  Besides being messy the Sloppy Joe's looked so good.  My friends let me try some and I while they were good, they were also very sweet.  I asked my parents what was in Sloppy Joe's that make them so sweet.  The answer was sugar.  I agree that sugar tastes good, but I wanted a sloppy joe that tasted good, was good for me, and was not full of sugar.  After a few tests I came up with my own Sloppy Joe, and while I was able to make the Sloppy Joe's less sugary, I could not make them less messy.  So give them a try and enjoy your Sloppy ChefElla's

For this recipe you will need to use a knife, the stove, and a blender or food processor.  If you are not allowed to use a knife, stove or blender by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons, a large mixing bowl, a knife, a cutting board, a large non-stick sauté pan, a rubber spatula, and a strainer.

Sloppy ChefElla's (This recipe will make 4-6 sandwiches)
Ingredients:
1 Lb.       Turkey Meat, Ground
3 ea         Tomatoes, Rough Chopped
                -Medium sized tomatoes.  You can use vine ripe or hot house tomatoes.
8oz.         White Mushrooms, Sliced
2 tsp        Salt
1/4 tsp    Onion Powder
1/4 tsp    Garlic Powder
1 tsp        Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp    Worchestershire Sauce
2 Tbl        Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3. Heat sauté pan over high heat.
4. Add ground turkey to pan and mash and break up the meat as it cooks.  When the meat is no longer
    pink it is done.
5. Put strainer over your large bowl and drain the meat in the strainer.  Do not throw away the
    drippings (the liquid from the cooked turkey).
6. Rough chop your tomatoes.  Return the sauté  pan to the stove and heat on medium.
7. Add olive oil to the pan, add mushrooms, and sauté for 5 minutes.  Add tomatoes and liquid from
    sautéed turkey and simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Put mixture into blender and add salt, onion and garlic powder, brown sugar and Worchestershire
    sauce.  Puree mixture until it is smooth.
9. Return meat and sauce to the sauté pan.  Heat on medium and bring to a simmer.  Turn off heat
    because your Sloppy ChefElla's are done.

Your Sloppy ChefElla's will not be red but more of a pink color.  This is because most Sloppy Joe's are made with ketchup and one of the biggest ingredients in ketchup is sugar.  Serve your Sloppy ChefElla's on a bun with pickles, mustard, cheese or whatever other toppings you like.  
Enjoy

- ChefElla

No comments:

Post a Comment